Buying furniture and placing it in a room is just the beginning. It looks great but has no personality. Creating a "feeling" and "look" that says YOU is sometimes daunting, but it's the accessories and personal touches that really make this your home. There are some really inexpensive ways to keep your home fresh and on trend that don't break the bank.
1. Flowers have to be one of the most inexpensive "bang for the buck" ideas. Fresh are wonderful, but if you spend that same $10 at the Dollar Store for some faux's and create a pretty arrangement with them, you can have something that will last for years. Buy the most realistic ones you can find.
Make sure they are flowers that are "in season". Poinsettias at Easter is not a good thing.
2. Books are a fabulous decorating tool. We all seem to have a few designer books that we love, so put them out as part of your vignette, or use one as a lift for another object to give it importance.
3. Candles are easy to use and tell their own story. Now you can go the Dollar Store route or buy beautiful scented ones. For decorative purposes, I like the ones from the Dollar Store. Arrange them in pretty crystal candlesticks for a more elegant look -
4. Texture is that unseen element in a room that gives it depth. Something with shine or 3 dimension makes a room come to life. Look at all the different textures in this vignette. - gold, crystal, beads, ostrich, books, greenery.
There are several different textures with the pillows too. Fur, velvet, gold glitter and matte. Together they tell a story while each one still stands out.
5. Trendy - Now you don't have to totally abandon your style to stay on trend. Something as simple as changing out a lampshade. My traditional chandy looks totally up to date by simply swapping out the "bell" shaped shade for "drum" style ones. I also added greek key trim to make them even more on trend.
Adding a touch of a trendy color keeps your home looking fresh too. Hot Pink is totally the lastest rage. One pillow from Hobby Lobby at 1/2 off keeps me current for around $5.
These are all super easy and inexpensive ways to give your home the style and character you want it to have.
What are your favorite ways to stay on trend?
You can still link up to Inspire Me. So much to see so check a few things out.
I am joining the following parties.